Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Talking Women in Sports

Saturday morning as I was enjoying a veggie-filled omelet after the gym, I was flipping through my Twitter feed and saw a ton of tweets from, and mentions about, Black Girls Run and MSNBC. I quickly flipped the channel to find Melissa Harris-Perry interviewing Ashley Hicks, co-founder of Black Girls Run, Jemele Hill, an ESPN columnist, and the incomparable, Kathrine Switzer! Unfortunately I got to it a little late, so I had to track it down online and of course, share it with you!

While the clip is a little long and Melissa Harris-Perry somehow didn’t realize that the Boston Marathon happened last Monday, I do think it’s worth your time. I think a lot of women my generation take the opportunities we have in sports a little for granted. There was a time, not all that long ago, when women and girls weren’t able to participate in sports as it was seen as un-ladylike or even dangerous. Seems absolutely ridiculous now, but this is why we have women like Kathrine Switzer to thank!

If you didn’t know, this year is the 40th anniversary of the signing of Title IX.

 

  • Was there a woman in your life who inspired you to get involved with sports?
  • How do you try to pass the love of running, or other sports, onto others?

************

Today’s workout -

  • 40min elliptical
  • 5min jog
  • 3x12 lat pull-down
  • 3x10 squats
  • 100 ab exercises
  • 2x15 back extension
  • stretching

1 comment:

Misszippy1 said...

Hmmm, finding that ignorance a little annoying! I just watched an interview Oprah did w/ Gloria Steinem (sp?) and they got into how many young women these days don't know the hard work that went into giving them all the opportunities they have today. This goes for sports too. I suppose that's a good thing, but still, I think it's always good to appreciate those who have paved a path for you.