Thursday, February 21, 2013

Some Serious Sweat

The other day I shared with you that I’m on a quest to lose some weight. It’s been great to hear from the blog and on twitter that other people love MyFitnessPal too – and to hear how you use it! So, this past weekend I was fortunate enough to have a four-day weekend and I decided to put the time to good use by getting in four strong and long workouts! Definite luxury.

Here’s how it went down:

Saturday

This workout was pretty normal for a Saturday but I did a solid hour on the elliptical followed by a brief stint on the treadmill and also with the rowing machine. I also spent a good amount of time strength training doing a variety of exercises but mostly focused on my core and upper body. Felt great but couldn’t stay too long since I had things to do before heading to the Millrose Games to spectate with the NYC Oiselle Team contingent!

Sunday

Gracekelle had texted me Saturday to see if I’d be up for yoga Sunday morning. Of course I was! Class wasn’t till 9:30am so I headed to the gym with Woody for a quick 40 minute cardio session then got myself on the subway uptown to Lululemon at Lincoln Center for the store’s Sunday Salutations class. It was a great class that challenged me a bit as I haven’t taken a yoga class in a while. Of course, always great to see Gracekelle and catch up over breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien (tip: currently offering a delicious quinoa and pear cereal).

Post Yoga at Lululemon

Monday

With Monday off for President’s Day and Woody having to work, I could sleep in a little and devote the morning to working out! It was frigid outside so I hit the gym for an hour on the elliptical and time for strength training and a little core work. Then I headed up to Yoga Vida for another yoga class. No yoga in months then two classes in two days. This class was packed full; glad I arrived early to grab a spot. The teacher was great and while I didn’t take part in the inversions at the end (I’m generally terrified of inversions) I got a great stretch and felt like it was an hour long strength session.

WP_000895

Tuesday

I was able to take a vacation day and extended the long weekend! Again, I slept in a little, but not too long since Woody went to work and I didn’t want him to have to tip toe around the apartment because I was still sleeping. It was a relatively warmer day so I went up to Central Park for a four mile run. It was not easy. The cold weather makes it tough for me to breathe – I can’t wait for Spring! I finished the run and headed to a NYSC near the park to finish my workout with more time on the elliptical and another strength session. I have to say it, I thought the two NYSC locations we go to regularly are in bad shape – broken and dirty machines, equipment and dirty towels strewn about, and a general sense of being run down – but this one was actually worse. Still, I was able to get in a workout but don’t plan on going back there except maybe to store a bag when I go for a run in the park. I need a new gym.

Central Park2

It was a bit intense, I admit it, but I felt great and energized. Since my run left a lot to be desired, I know I need to start adding time on the treadmill to my weekly routine – even though I’m not fond of the treadmill in the very least, it’s a must do so I can be strong and ready to run when the weather gets warmer. After a full week of workouts, with four being long ones, I took Wednesday off and slept in yet again. I knew my body needed it to recover and I was right because today’s workout was pretty good!

  • Are there any luxuries you like to indulge in over long weekends?

************

Today’s workout -

  • 50min elliptical
  • 3x10 bent row
  • 3x10 tricep extension
  • 3x10 tricep dips
  • ab exercises
  • stretching

3 comments:

gracekelle said...

Yoga was fun. Must do it regularly! the instructor was so great - amazing what a difference it makes when someone is able to properly explain to you what to do or imagine to get proper form. The word "lift" is not enough.

Unknown said...

In order to open yourself fully in sports and fitness, you need to mobilize all available energy resourses of your body. This requires proper nutrition. To provide my body with enough nutrients without overeating I am taking dietary supplement Multipurpose High-Potency Super Nutritional Complex, manufactured by Military Grade Nutritionals. Sometimes people feel tired. This is normal. But due to this supplement, I forgot when I felt fatigue last time. I am able to hit the gym whenever I want and still have lots of energy for active recreation with my family. I live in constant motion and I enjoy it!

Lisa said...

If you are working
hard to get your results, you might be exposed to the risk of overtraining.
According to fitness instructors, the best ways to prevent overtraining is
proper nutrition and switching the types of your activities. I have been
searching for related articles and find a lot of good advices and professional
expertise at http://bit.ly/Rsiolr