Monday, January 4, 2016

Taking on 2016

This past year was a good year, but I'll admit it, overall, it wasn't a great year. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for some amazing experiences - the many miles run (725 to be exact), trails hiked, trips taken, the list goes on. But overall, it wasn't spectacular and I'm sick a year going by without feeling like it was spectacular.

As my grandfather used to say, we only live once. So why not make it the best life we can?

Early Morning Run - Hiking Colorado


As the New Year approached and the seemingly endless supply of New Years resolution flooded my social feeds, the airwaves and conversations, it dawned on me that my goals for 2016 are very simple.

1. Have fun!
2. Be Kind.
3. Be Compassionate.

Early Morning Run - 2016 Goals


With all the anger, fighting, and uncertainty in the world, I want to focus on a few things that will make my life, and the lives of people around me, better and less stressful. Even if it's only so slightly. I want to be a positive force in the world, and why not declare goals for 2016 that will make that happen?

I'm usually so focused on my to-do lists (I have paper and app versions), that I forget about the big picture and the little ones. I forget about having fun. So this year, I'm going to change that. Whether it means going for a run on a new trail that's challenging and awesome, signing-up for a race because I get to run with my teammates, going to a diverse range of concerts, taking trips to new places, running to a favorite restaurant to eat a delicious meal then spend the rest of the day binging on nutrition documentaries (aka how we spent New Years Day) or riding my bike for hours around Denver and just seeing where it takes me. It's about spending less time worrying and more time doing and having fun.

The other two goals compliment one another. It's not that I think I currently lack these qualities, but I want to put more emphasis on them. I want to spend more time caring about others and making other people's lives better and more enjoyable. Easier, even. I want other people to know they're not alone and that even strangers can care about them.

This morning I took my first yoga class in nearly a year. My body and mind had been craving the peace that comes with yoga for a while now but I hadn't made the time. Maybe I was meant to wait for this particular practice because the mantra was exactly what I needed to hear and fits perfectly with how I want to live the next year:
Be the living example of the invisible grace. 
Perfect. Isn't it?

Early Morning Run - Kindness Yoga


So there they are, my goals for 2016. As easy as they might sound, I anticipate that they'll be challenging at times when life gets in the way, but I'm also confident that any effort put toward these goals will be worth it and will help make the world a smidgen better.

Did you set goals for 2016? * How did you kick-off the New Year?

No comments: